Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Switch to Linux

I decided to take the leap from Windows to Linux.  I installed Ubuntu (free of charge) on one laptop (that I use like a desktop) but held back on my smaller (more portable) laptop for fear of not being able to run Stata.  But yesterday I managed to install Stata 10, so today I'm formatting my second computer to linux as well.

My reasons for the switch:
  1. Google Documents has removed my need for Microsoft Office
  2. Most applications I use I run through a web-browser (email, calendar, office software, grading, etc.)
  3. No crashes, viruses, malware, spyware, or adware
  4. Workspaces allow me to run multiple "desktops" on one computer.  I have one desktop for Google Applications, one desktop for work, one desktop for play, and I can create more for any of a number of specific tasks.  I don't need any new program to do this; it is all seamlessly integrated and pre-packaged with the Ubuntu shell. 
Here is an image of switching workspaces:



You can set your screen to show the workspaces as faces of a cube, cells on a filmstrip, or tiles in a window. 

My one reservation so far is that fonts don't always display as neatly in web pages as they do in Windows, and sometimes they look downright unattractive.

No comments: