Thursday, January 8, 2009

On Getting a New Laptop

A buddy just asked me for some input on getting a new computer.  I thought I'd share my 2 cents publicly as well, so here is my response.

the [linux] font issue has been resolved.  if you get a computer with the intent of running linux you should make sure all of the hardware is linux compatible.  between pc and mac, if money weren't an issue, i would easily get a mac.  their hardware is way more dependable, and the software is designed with the hardware in mind; microsoft has to make windows run on every hardware configuration imaginable, and that is the root of all its evils.  mac os is also better.

i definitely would not get a dell.  the canadian government issued a class action lawsuit against them for systemic overheating across a wide range of models; i was part of and won a separate class action against them when i was in college.  my current dell is also having problems.  i am measuring the computer temperature at 62c idle when it should be 30 or 40.  the computer dell gave me to replace my old one with the class action lawsuit was bequeathed to my parents, and it overheated just before christmas.  if you google "dell hell" you will hear many more stories and lawsuits.

dell offers great bang for the buck, but it really is a gamble.  and after having 2, i don't think the cost effectiveness is worth the potential headache.  if i were to get a pc i would probably get a lenovo thinkpad, the enduring pc legacy of IBM.

No comments: